I’ve been engaged for about 9 months now and wedding planning is well underway. One of the things I was most excited about in the wedding process are the photos! We recently gout our Vancouver engagement photos taken by Out of Step Productions at Vanier Park. I am so excited to share with you our beautiful photos. Also, I will list out some of the best engagement photos spots in Vancouver as well as what to bring to an engagement photo shoot!
About Out of Step Productions
Out of Step Productions is run by Sara and Chris and they have been doing photography and cinematography together for 5 years! They have a passion for capturing authentic moment and are drawn to emotion. When it comes to weddings , they always make sure that the finished results of the couple’s special day is something truly magical and something that they will cherish forever.
The name Out of Step Productions represents being yourself, look at every project with a new perspective, and it’s the name of their favorite album of all time. Porrtrait and engagement sessions start at $75 and weddings start at $750. They will always try to find a way to make most budgets work and you can contact them through Instagram or on their Facebook Page.
Where to Take Vancouver Engagement Photos
Vancouver is such a scenic city and there are a variety of spots to take engagement photos depending on the type of feel and background you want. After doing research, we settled on Vanier Park as there’s a good mix of city, beach and nature views. When selecting your location, think about where you and your fiancee are the happiest. Also think about where your wedding will be as you may want a contrasting style. So if you’re going to have your wedding in the woods, you may want to do engagement photos in the city instead. I personally love the beach, but since we are getting married in Los Cabos, I wanted to capture more than just beach scenery in our engagement photos.
Here are some of my ideas for engagement photo locations in Vancouver!
Best Engagement Photo Location for Multiple Scenery
Best Engagement Photo Location for Flowers
Queen Elizabeth Park
Best Engagement Photo Location for Beaches
My Photos with Out of Step Productions
We spent about 1.5 hours shooting around Vanier Park at the end of April and here are my beautiful photos shot and edited by Out of Step Productions! I have previously been to Vanier Park before and liked how it has a view of downtown and also a small beach. I suggested the venue to Sara and she went to scope out the area to come up with some great compositions for our shoot.
Museum of Vancouver
We started off at the Museum of Vancouver with a futuristic sculpture and water fountain.
Rocks + City
We then made our way towards the north side of the park where the rocks meet the inlet for a gorgeous water and city view.
Walk in the Park
After that, Sara suggested several walking photos as there was a curve in the sidewalk that looks beautiful in photos. Sara also suggested leaning against the tree which at first I was skeptical about but these turned out to be my favorites!
Then we did an outfit change to do the shot in front of the geometric wall. I was really excited about this background and we took some candid dancing photos.
Lastly, we used the props I brought and sat on the beach. I absolutely love how many different “feels” we were able to achieve in such a small area and time! I really appreciate that Sara took the time to scope out the area and suggested some great compositions while letting me suggest ideas I wanted as well.
Engagement Photo Shoot Packing List
- Your outfit + change of clothes if applicable
- Heels for photos
- Shoes for walking around (especially if your shoes are uncomfortable)
- Bouquet (I find this adds glamour and also gives your hands something to do)
- Bridal hair pin (You can find this on Amazon for $15! Don’t buy it at bridal stores)
- Props (We brought a sign that says Welcome to Our Happily Ever After)
- Shared Interest (If time permitting, it’s also fun to do a common pastime for example, blanket + picnic basket)
Ideas for Engagement Photo Dress
I spent quite a bit of time searching for the perfect dress! You can’t go wrong with a maxi white dress as it exudes bridal vibes. You may also go for a casual look with sweater and jeans in which case this part may not be applicable. Here are some of my suggestions on where to buy dresses for engagement photos!
- Lulus: Shipping is a bit hard to Vancouver but there’s so many gorgeous styles and lots go on sale too! The quality is great!
- Ted Baker: I bought my dress (the one shoulder gold glitter/black dress) at the Ted Baker Warehouse Sale at a good deal but Ted Baker at Pacific Center has a lot of options as well!
- Ever New: My university grad dress was from Ever New and this is a great spot for occasion dresses
- Reformation: For more trendy or boho brides, Reformation has amazing dresses although a tad pricey
- Facebook Marketplace: Since most people buy a dress and wear it once, there are usually a lot for sale at a good price on Facebook!
I hope this post was helpful if you are planning on taking engagement photos in Vancouver! Make sure to look and save inspiration but also add your own twist to it. After all, you’ll want the photos to reflect what’s special about your relationship.
We received a complimentary engagement photo shoot from Out of Step Productions.